Topics

W36 sedan - prop shaft dimensions?

Peter P

I have some scoring on my prop shaft. Thinking of replacing it while it's on the hard. Anyone aworh a W36 replaced their shaft? Wondering dimensions - I seem to recall it's 1-3/8" but might be 1-1/2". Also, not sure if the length. Thoughts?

Thanks

Bill

All the 36’ standard cruisers I gave seen have 1 1/2” shafts. I have the shaft from hull #6, I can measure the length on Monday if you need it.
--
W36S #34

Peter P

Thanks Bill - length would be good info, though I wonder if the shaft length's varied based on the installed engine/gear?

Richard A. Miller

My thoughts;

1.  No matter what information you may obtain from others, you can only rely on actual measurements taken from your own boat because there is no telling what variations have been introduced into any individual boat over the years (as you know), of even at the time of the original build.

2.  Attempt to figure out what has caused the scoring.  I replaced a prop shaft due to scoring but it took years for me to understand what had caused the condition and to fully correct it.

Good luck, as you like to say!

Richard Miller
W40 Adria, formerly W30 Voyager Seagull

On Mar 10, 2020, at 6:54 PM, Peter P via Groups.Io <pete_pisc@...> wrote:

I have some scoring on my prop shaft. Thinking of replacing it while it's on the hard. Anyone aworh a W36 replaced their shaft? Wondering dimensions - I seem to recall it's 1-3/8" but might be 1-1/2". Also, not sure if the length. Thoughts?

Thanks

Bill

When I offered to check the length of a shaft I was (and remain) sure Pete was going to use this info to ascertain whether an adequate length was available to his shipyard to duplicate his old shaft, not cut and key way a shaft to exact length.

One thing you might check is what type of shaft zinc your current shaft has. If it is a collar type between the prop and aft cutless  you could consider changing to the prop nut style, and shortening the forward end of the shaft a bit to move the scored section forward. My current 36 has this and I see no sign of vibration caused by the prop being closer to the deadwood. The prop walk is more pronounced than my previous W36, but this one also has a 2.91 reduction vs 2.57, so more pitch on the prop which could affect prop walk. This would be an inexpensive fix, and if you don’t like the result then back to a new shaft!

A dripless seal can also work to overcome the scoring by moving the point of sealing on the shaft, but of course this raises a whole new discussion. Hull 34 has had a custom built built seal/thrust bearing/Cardan shaft setup since 1967, all still in perfect shape. I assume only bearings and seals have been changed. It can be done, but no doubt with a swap of risks, not elimination of risk!

Bill

--
W36S #34