Topics

Stern thruster ?

Sven

I'm curious if anyone here has added a stern-thruster like this to their Willard (of any size) ?

We definitely do not want to put in a standard bow thruster as that would require reducing the capacity of the holding tank and involve major surgery.

The stern would have to be modified a little bit to build up a flat surface for a Side-Power style stern thruster.  I haven't checked to see how much space there is between the stern (just under the water line) and the rudder post,  but that might be a show-stopper.

Right now it is just a daydream,  but it would be interesting to know what others might have done.

Thanks,

-Sven

Bill

Search “articulating rudder” in this forum to find lots of info on this alternative that at least two W40’s (Patience and Northstar) fitted in lieu of a thruster.
Sample post: https://willardboatowners.groups.io/g/main/message/9671?p=,,,20,0,0,0::relevance,,Articulating+rudder,20,2,0,37332289
Bill
--
W36S #34

Pease, Dan

Sven,

I’m a big one on thinking outside the box, and I’ve given this thruster thing some thought.

I don’t know what one of these stern thrusters costs, but here is an idea.

I propose using a Torqeedo cruise (I think that is the model) as a stern thruster. I’d mount it on an outboard bracket on the stern, it could be one of those that is spring loaded with an up and a down position. Or you could custom build a system that would give tree heights, storage, thruster and get-me-home.  Your style points might be slightly diminished, but here is a way to carry/store your dingy motor, and a have thruster with very little boat modifications, interior and exterior, physical and electrical.

I have a 37 foot Monk designed trawler, and have experimented by pushing the stern with my dingy and Torqeedo and it has plenty of thrust, in either direction.

The most difficult thing about this install would be to run the extended control cable to your helm.   No heavy duty wiring or added load on your house or start battery.  Lithium Battery with plenty of capacity self contained.  No holes below the waterline. Completely quiet!

Added benefit would be a limp home, short trip, motor, ready to go, just rotate 90 degrees.   Also, Torqeedo can run continuously, unlike many thrusters which are very much for short term bursts only.

Put some of the money you saved into a second battery and you will have a dinghy motor that will run all day.

Dan Pease

On Sun, Feb 9, 2020 at 11:49 AM Sven <southbound@...> wrote:
I'm curious if anyone here has added a stern-thruster like this to their Willard (of any size) ?

We definitely do not want to put in a standard bow thruster as that would require reducing the capacity of the holding tank and involve major surgery.

The stern would have to be modified a little bit to build up a flat surface for a Side-Power style stern thruster.  I haven't checked to see how much space there is between the stern (just under the water line) and the rudder post,  but that might be a show-stopper.

Right now it is just a daydream,  but it would be interesting to know what others might have done.

Thanks,

-Sven

WILLIAM FOGARTY

Here is what you might consider.  Install a airhead composting toilet. Take out the holding tank.  Install the bow thruster.  The composting head will reduce fresh water consumption if you use fresh water for flushing toilet 

On Feb 9, 2020, at 11:49 AM, Sven <southbound@...> wrote:

Thanks,

-Sven

Ana

Of course I don't know the set-up and the difficulties on your boat, but the bow-thruster on my Horizon 30 is very small and works like a charm!

Ana, MSV Nuala May

Andrew Adams

By chance, I’ve just taken the Patience out for an hour to see how things are working after being off the boat for a while. It’s cold but clear and without wind in La Conner. And the bow thruster solenoids need replacement, so no bow thruster. But the articulating rudder turned me down the fairway with ease and without forward motion. Coming back, I used reverse to stop in the fairway, then threw the wheel hard to starboard and pushed her into forward at idle, and she gracefully put her nose toward the slip. So I don’t really need the bow thruster, let alone a stern thruster. My thanks to the previous owner’s father for putting in the articulating rudder.

Item two, for the group: the Perkins stayed around 180 degrees F up to about 80% of throttle. After 5 minutes at full throttle, the temp gauge read 220 and the red ‘high temp’ light came on. I backed off to 60% (maybe 2000 RPM) and the light went out and the temp returned to 180. What should I do? Impeller? Manicooler? Look in my sea strainer? Thanks for any advice.

Andrew

From: main@WillardBoatOwners.groups.io <main@WillardBoatOwners.groups.io> On Behalf Of Bill
Sent: Sunday, February 9, 2020 9:04 AM
To: main@WillardBoatOwners.groups.io
Subject: Re: [WillardBoatOwners] Stern thruster ?

Search “articulating rudder” in this forum to find lots of info on this alternative that at least two W40’s (Patience and Northstar) fitted in lieu of a thruster.
Sample post: https://willardboatowners.groups.io/g/main/message/9671?p=,,,20,0,0,0::relevance,,Articulating+rudder,20,2,0,37332289
Bill
--
W36S #34

Richard A. Miller

You have a good starting list.  Just do the easiest first!
But of course, you knew that.
Richard M

On Feb 9, 2020, at 2:46 PM, Andrew Adams <andrew@...> wrote:

By chance, I’ve just taken the Patience out for an hour to see how things are working after being off the boat for a while. It’s cold but clear and without wind in La Conner. And the bow thruster solenoids need replacement, so no bow thruster. But the articulating rudder turned me down the fairway with ease and without forward motion. Coming back, I used reverse to stop in the fairway, then threw the wheel hard to starboard and pushed her into forward at idle, and she gracefully put her nose toward the slip. So I don’t really need the bow thruster, let alone a stern thruster. My thanks to the previous owner’s father for putting in the articulating rudder.

Item two, for the group: the Perkins stayed around 180 degrees F up to about 80% of throttle. After 5 minutes at full throttle, the temp gauge read 220 and the red ‘high temp’ light came on. I backed off to 60% (maybe 2000 RPM) and the light went out and the temp returned to 180. What should I do? Impeller? Manicooler? Look in my sea strainer? Thanks for any advice.

Andrew

From: main@WillardBoatOwners.groups.io <main@WillardBoatOwners.groups.io> On Behalf Of Bill

Bill
--
W36S #34

Sean Eamon Kennedy

If you haven’t drained, flushed and replaced your coolant in a year or so I’d start there. Needs to happen anyway, and might solve the overheating problem. 

On Feb 9, 2020, at 1:15 PM, Richard A. Miller <ramillerco@...> wrote:

Richard M

Andrew

Bill
--
W36S #34

--
Sean Eamon Kennedy
Vega Voyager “Moonlight”

Peter P

Start at the intake through hull and work your way back. 

1. Visual inspection of exhaust water flow. You should be getting a LOT of water at 60%-80% RPMs. But it can be tough to tell how much is a lot. 
2. Pop the top off your sea strainer and clean-out basket. Now, turn-on the thru-hull valve. There should be a really good flow coming through. If not, you have some sort of obstruction in the intake - seaweed, mussels, plastic bag, etc. 
3.  Impellor. Change it. Have some silicon grease to lubricate it as it goes in. If you are missing any vanes, you'll find them in the first end of the heat exchanger (next stop)
4. Heat exchanger. Pop off each end (assuming it has two ends) and visually inspect the tubes. Here's a decent video showing the HE on a 4.108.   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g18-xIyR9jM I've never heard of "Barnacle Buster" but it sure looks like it did the trick. Make sure it's safe for copper. 

One of the above will fix your problem. If not, you have a problem with your raw water pump - on rare ocassions, the body or cover gets worn and lets water bypass the impellor.

Good luck!

Peter

M/V Weebles
1970 Willard 36 Sedan Hull #40

Ensenada, MX

Pease, Dan

All of the above.

And re bow thruster, Willard’s have much bigger rudders than almost all modern “trawlers”.  I never felt the need for a bow thruster on my thirty Horizon.

Dan

On Sun, Feb 9, 2020 at 3:46 PM Andrew Adams <andrew@...> wrote:

Andrew

Bill
--
W36S #34

Andrew Adams

Thanks, Peter and Richard, I will work through these recommendations.

Andrew

From: main@WillardBoatOwners.groups.io <main@WillardBoatOwners.groups.io> On Behalf Of Peter P via Groups.Io
Sent: Sunday, February 9, 2020 2:34 PM

Start at the intake through hull and work your way back. 

1. Visual inspection of exhaust water flow. You should be getting a LOT of water at 60%-80% RPMs. But it can be tough to tell how much is a lot. 
2. Pop the top off your sea strainer and clean-out basket. Now, turn-on the thru-hull valve. There should be a really good flow coming through. If not, you have some sort of obstruction in the intake - seaweed, mussels, plastic bag, etc. 
3.  Impellor. Change it. Have some silicon grease to lubricate it as it goes in. If you are missing any vanes, you'll find them in the first end of the heat exchanger (next stop)
4. Heat exchanger. Pop off each end (assuming it has two ends) and visually inspect the tubes. Here's a decent video showing the HE on a 4.108.   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g18-xIyR9jM I've never heard of "Barnacle Buster" but it sure looks like it did the trick. Make sure it's safe for copper. 

One of the above will fix your problem. If not, you have a problem with your raw water pump - on rare ocassions, the body or cover gets worn and lets water bypass the impellor.

Good luck!

Peter

M/V Weebles
1970 Willard 36 Sedan Hull #40
Ensenada, MX

Ana

I am grateful to the previous owner of my Horizon 30 for the bow-thruster. Being by myself on the boat as I am year round, it comes in very handy when docking in challenging weather conditions. But I agree that the big rudder is wonderful!

As for the overheating issue, it could also be air in the fresh water circuit. To bleed it, it is necessary to break the hoses loose at the freshwater pump and at the water heaters (if applicable). If the oil and coolant levels are good, and if the raw water and fresh water circuits are healthy as well, then the problem could be faulty fuel injection.

Ana

HALLIE DAVID MCCURDI

I have a bow thruster on my Willard 30 Nomad. Although the boat manuvers well without it thanks to the over sized rudder, it is still very nice to have in challenging docking situations.

Sent from my Verizon Motorola Smartphone

On Feb 9, 2020 3:40 PM, Ana <ana.movingplanets@...> wrote:

I am grateful to the previous owner of my Horizon 30 for the bow-thruster. Being by myself on the boat as I am year round, it comes in very handy when docking in challenging weather conditions. But I agree that the big rudder is wonderful!

As for the overheating issue, it could also be air in the fresh water circuit. To bleed it, it is necessary to break the hoses loose at the freshwater pump and at the water heaters (if applicable). If the oil and coolant levels are good, and if the raw water and fresh water circuits are healthy as well, then the problem could be faulty fuel injection.

Ana

Andrew Adams

Thanks, Ana and Sean. The intake was clear, the sea strainer was very dirty, I’ll replace the coolant and impeller tomorrow. I may not be able to do another full-throttle test right away, but I’ll report back when I’m able.

Andrew

From: main@WillardBoatOwners.groups.io <main@WillardBoatOwners.groups.io> On Behalf Of Sean Eamon Kennedy via Groups.Io
Sent: Sunday, February 9, 2020 1:53 PM
To: main@willardboatowners.groups.io

If you haven’t drained, flushed and replaced your coolant in a year or so I’d start there. Needs to happen anyway, and might solve the overheating problem. 

On Feb 9, 2020, at 1:15 PM, Richard A. Miller <ramillerco@...> wrote:

Richard M

Andrew

Bill
--
W36S #34

--
Sean Eamon Kennedy
Vega Voyager “Moonlight”

Richard A. Miller

In my view, way too complicated and would compromise the “double hull” collision protection formed by the integral fiberglass holding tank which is part of the hull structure.
Richard M, 1999-2000 W40 Adria 

On Feb 9, 2020, at 11:14 AM, WILLIAM FOGARTY via Groups.Io <Wfoga71400@...> wrote:

Here is what you might consider.  Install a airhead composting toilet. Take out the holding tank.  Install the bow thruster.  The composting head will reduce fresh water consumption if you use fresh water for flushing toilet 

On Feb 9, 2020, at 11:49 AM, Sven <southbound@...> wrote:

<Side power.jpg>

Thanks,

-Sven