Topics

Stern thruster ?

Sven

I'm curious if anyone here has added a stern-thruster like this to their Willard (of any size) ?

We definitely do not want to put in a standard bow thruster as that would require reducing the capacity of the holding tank and involve major surgery.

The stern would have to be modified a little bit to build up a flat surface for a Side-Power style stern thruster.  I haven't checked to see how much space there is between the stern (just under the water line) and the rudder post,  but that might be a show-stopper.

Right now it is just a daydream,  but it would be interesting to know what others might have done.

Thanks,

-Sven

Bill

Search “articulating rudder” in this forum to find lots of info on this alternative that at least two W40’s (Patience and Northstar) fitted in lieu of a thruster.
Sample post: https://willardboatowners.groups.io/g/main/message/9671?p=,,,20,0,0,0::relevance,,Articulating+rudder,20,2,0,37332289
Bill
--
W36S #34

Pease, Dan

Sven,

I’m a big one on thinking outside the box, and I’ve given this thruster thing some thought.

I don’t know what one of these stern thrusters costs, but here is an idea.

I propose using a Torqeedo cruise (I think that is the model) as a stern thruster. I’d mount it on an outboard bracket on the stern, it could be one of those that is spring loaded with an up and a down position. Or you could custom build a system that would give tree heights, storage, thruster and get-me-home.  Your style points might be slightly diminished, but here is a way to carry/store your dingy motor, and a have thruster with very little boat modifications, interior and exterior, physical and electrical.

I have a 37 foot Monk designed trawler, and have experimented by pushing the stern with my dingy and Torqeedo and it has plenty of thrust, in either direction.

The most difficult thing about this install would be to run the extended control cable to your helm.   No heavy duty wiring or added load on your house or start battery.  Lithium Battery with plenty of capacity self contained.  No holes below the waterline. Completely quiet!

Added benefit would be a limp home, short trip, motor, ready to go, just rotate 90 degrees.   Also, Torqeedo can run continuously, unlike many thrusters which are very much for short term bursts only.

Put some of the money you saved into a second battery and you will have a dinghy motor that will run all day.

Dan Pease

On Sun, Feb 9, 2020 at 11:49 AM Sven <southbound@...> wrote:
I'm curious if anyone here has added a stern-thruster like this to their Willard (of any size) ?

We definitely do not want to put in a standard bow thruster as that would require reducing the capacity of the holding tank and involve major surgery.

The stern would have to be modified a little bit to build up a flat surface for a Side-Power style stern thruster.  I haven't checked to see how much space there is between the stern (just under the water line) and the rudder post,  but that might be a show-stopper.

Right now it is just a daydream,  but it would be interesting to know what others might have done.

Thanks,

-Sven

WILLIAM FOGARTY

Here is what you might consider.  Install a airhead composting toilet. Take out the holding tank.  Install the bow thruster.  The composting head will reduce fresh water consumption if you use fresh water for flushing toilet

On Feb 9, 2020, at 11:49 AM, Sven <southbound@...> wrote:

I'm curious if anyone here has added a stern-thruster like this to their Willard (of any size) ?

We definitely do not want to put in a standard bow thruster as that would require reducing the capacity of the holding tank and involve major surgery.

The stern would have to be modified a little bit to build up a flat surface for a Side-Power style stern thruster.  I haven't checked to see how much space there is between the stern (just under the water line) and the rudder post,  but that might be a show-stopper.

Right now it is just a daydream,  but it would be interesting to know what others might have done.

Thanks,

-Sven

Ana

Of course I don't know the set-up and the difficulties on your boat, but the bow-thruster on my Horizon 30 is very small and works like a charm!

Ana, MSV Nuala May

Andrew Adams

By chance, I’ve just taken the Patience out for an hour to see how things are working after being off the boat for a while. It’s cold but clear and without wind in La Conner. And the bow thruster solenoids need replacement, so no bow thruster. But the articulating rudder turned me down the fairway with ease and without forward motion. Coming back, I used reverse to stop in the fairway, then threw the wheel hard to starboard and pushed her into forward at idle, and she gracefully put her nose toward the slip. So I don’t really need the bow thruster, let alone a stern thruster. My thanks to the previous owner’s father for putting in the articulating rudder.

Item two, for the group: the Perkins stayed around 180 degrees F up to about 80% of throttle. After 5 minutes at full throttle, the temp gauge read 220 and the red ‘high temp’ light came on. I backed off to 60% (maybe 2000 RPM) and the light went out and the temp returned to 180. What should I do? Impeller? Manicooler? Look in my sea strainer? Thanks for any advice.

Andrew

Search “articulating rudder” in this forum to find lots of info on this alternative that at least two W40’s (Patience and Northstar) fitted in lieu of a thruster.
Sample post: https://willardboatowners.groups.io/g/main/message/9671?p=,,,20,0,0,0::relevance,,Articulating+rudder,20,2,0,37332289
Bill
--
W36S #34

Richard A. Miller

You have a good starting list.  Just do the easiest first!
But of course, you knew that.
Richard M

On Feb 9, 2020, at 2:46 PM, Andrew Adams <andrew@...> wrote:

[...]

Sean Eamon Kennedy

If you haven’t drained, flushed and replaced your coolant in a year or so I’d start there. Needs to happen anyway, and might solve the overheating problem.