Topics

shaft length on 8 ton cutter built in 76

captainbligh01

So about to do haul out and replace my replaced my Rudder seals and a few other items including sending my shaft out to be inspected and have a few minor pits where the shaft packing is fixed. It's not very long and I'm thinking I may just have a new shaft manufacturer I'm just curious if anybody knows the approximate length I know it's an inch and a quarter diameter. Any suggestions would be great information with accuracy is even better. SEAVOCEAN

bill baedke

Another option would be a Lasdrop shaft seal.
http://www.lasdrop.com/

We did it about 25 years ago on Seadrifter and it was still working well when we sold her about 4 years ago.
Advantages:
-- never leaks
-- never needs adjusting
Disadvantage:
-- is somewhat difficult to install due to to lack of room under engine.

It is a ceramic face seal that is lubricated by sea water. Same type is used in car engine water  pumps.
I would recommend it.
Bill B. Romeo, you MI

On Sat, Feb 1, 2020 at 3:42 PM, captainbligh01 via Groups.Io
<captainbligh01@...> wrote:
So about to do haul out and replace my replaced my Rudder seals and a few other items including sending my shaft out to be inspected and have a few minor pits where the shaft packing is fixed. It's not very long and I'm thinking I may just have a new shaft manufacturer I'm just curious if anybody knows the approximate length I know it's an inch and a quarter diameter. Any suggestions would be great information with accuracy is even better. SEAVOCEAN

Douglas Nightingale

Howdy,

My PH 30 with a Yanmar length is probably different, from having mine inspected (alignment issue, with the cutless bearing, .030 wear)  I know the shaft is a premade length, and they cut it to size and fit the flange and cut the keyway when they “make” you a new shaft.  It should only take a couple of hours for them to do the whole job and they will want you to bring in the flange when they make it.

My understanding is that they don’t like to attempt to weld on small diameter shafts and then machine them back to size.  They also indicated their wear tolerances were  .060 before replacement was recommended.  Of course that’s from a single local shop in the Homer Alaska area, and the cost of shaft replacement was just under $500.

I hope that helps.

Doug Nightingale

Melanie Rose

captainbligh01

thanks

On Feb 1, 2020 4:12 PM, Douglas Nightingale <farrier@...> wrote:
[...]

MSY Tortuga

Hey Seavocean, any thoughts on where you'd get a new shaft?  I may be in the same boat as you (needing a replacement).  Thanks!

PS I used to walk by your boat on the way to mine and she's a beauty!
--
-MSY Tortuga (Channel Islands CA)

captainbligh01

I probably plan on having Wilmington Iron Works make a new shaft if they cannot refurbish it to like new condition