Topics

Rudder play how much is too much

Les Higgins

Asking for input and advise. I have a 1973 Searcher, 30’ the rudder has about 1/2 “ of play (turn of the rudder, side to side) while sitting idle. The upper post has very minute play at the top, about 1/16”, if I was to guess. How much slack / play is too much? And what would be the cause?  The gimble and Hydraulic ram steering Rod appear tight. Any ideas and input would be appreciated.
ps. I received the Willard Marine hats and the penant, they are high quality and I will display each proudly!

Thank you.
Les Higgins
Molly Dog
Stockton,Ca.

Chesley Sugg

Les,

I had the same problem on my 1876 Fales. Rudder had play and I couldn’t see why. It turned out to be that the mounting bolts on the whole hydraulic ram assembly were loose. Allowing the whole cylinder and ram to move.

Chesley Sugg
Shaman
New Bern, NC

On Sep 5, 2020, at 6:43 PM, Les Higgins via groups.io <almonhiggins@...> wrote:

Asking for input and advise. I have a 1973 Searcher, 30’ the rudder has about 1/2 “ of play (turn of the rudder, side to side) while sitting idle. The upper post has very minute play at the top, about 1/16”, if I was to guess. How much slack / play is too much? And what would be the cause?  The gimble and Hydraulic ram steering Rod appear tight. Any ideas and input would be appreciated.
ps. I received the Willard Marine hats and the penant, they are high quality and I will display each proudly!

Thank you.
Les Higgins
Molly Dog
Stockton,Ca.

Les Higgins

Awe I will check that out.  Thanks

--
Les H.

1973 Searcher, Molly Dog, Stockton,Ca

Pease, Dan

Should be no play at rudder post top. Any play there will get continually worse.
Hydraulic or cable steering?

On Sat, Sep 5, 2020, 18:43 Les Higgins via groups.io <almonhiggins=icloud.com@groups.io> wrote:

Asking for input and advise. I have a 1973 Searcher, 30’ the rudder has about 1/2 “ of play (turn of the rudder, side to side) while sitting idle. The upper post has very minute play at the top, about 1/16”, if I was to guess. How much slack / play is too much? And what would be the cause?  The gimble and Hydraulic ram steering Rod appear tight. Any ideas and input would be appreciated.
ps. I received the Willard Marine hats and the penant, they are high quality and I will display each proudly!

Thank you.
Les Higgins
Molly Dog
Stockton,Ca.

Les Higgins

We have Hydraulic steering.

On Sep 5, 2020, at 17:10, Pease, Dan <capt.revere@...> wrote:

[...]

All pivot points are or should be machine fit. Any loose joints should be bushed. It's easy to get used to a little play, but should be kept up with.
While not a permanent solution sometimes joints can be fixed by bushing with thin plastic sheet, like Clorox or milk jug. Real Maine maple syrup has a slightly thicker skinned bottle.