Meeting Willards #photo-notice

Gary Knight, Adria

Meeting Willards:
Last year (November 2021) my wife and I purchased Adria, a 2000 Willard 40, in Sturgeon Bay, WI. Our home port destination was East Greenwich, Rhode Island. That entailed making the passage from Wisconsin to Mackinaw City, Michigan, to the Upper Peninsula into the Canadian North Channel, Georgian Bay, Trent-Severn Waterway (44 Locks), across Lake Ontario, Oswego River, NY ( 8 Locks), Eastern Erie Canal (22 Locks Hudson River (1 Lock), East River of NYC, Long Island Sound to East Greenwich Rhode Island. That took  211.4 engine hours and about 485 gallons of diesel.

Along the way, we meet two other Willard 40s.

“Compass Rose” with Captain Ulrich LaFosse
“Blue Moon” with Captain Jim Doyle & Donna Gambino
Starting early October Adria is making her way South to Lady’s Island, SC.

Regards,

Gary Knight

mv / Adria

--
W40FBS Adria

Richard A. Miller

BRAVO, GARY & DONNA!

Way to go!

Your Sellers,
Richard & Joan Miller
(Still missing a great home away from home)

On Sep 20, 2022, at 7:54 AM, Gary Knight, Adria <gkconcrete@...> wrote:

[...]

W40FBS Adria<BlueMoon-1.JPG><BlueMoon-2.JPG><TwoWillards.JPG><TwoWillards-2.JPG><TwoWillards-3.JPG>

--
1999 W40 FBS "Adria"

richarddalaska

Gary,

The numbers you presented indicate a fuel burn of 2.3g/hr. On Lilliana, the identical hull to Adria, we typically burned between 1.5-1.7g/hr. So I am curious what speed you were running at. I suppose since you are trying to get home you ran somewhat faster than my slow poke mode. Or maybe you use a generator a lot. Just curious.
--
Richard P

Gary Knight, Adria

Adria has the Cummins 6B-M 115hp engine, 1800 rpm, 7.2-7.6 knots. Slightly faster in salt water than fresh. Our use of the generator was occasional. When filling the fuel tanks I would fill to about 1 inch from the top of the sight tubes, so some error in judgment of a full tank could creep in here. We are preparing Adria for a trip down ICW, and will rerun fuel check again. I tend to use the 2.3 g/hr for budget and planning purposes, because Adria is new to me, and still getting acquainted with this fine boat.

The trip from Wisconsin to Rhode Island was the best of times.
Gary

Gary Knight

On Sep 24, 2022, at 4:02 AM, richarddalaska <rpackard@...> wrote:

Gary,

The numbers you presented indicate a fuel burn of 2.3g/hr. On Lilliana, the identical hull to Adria, we typically burned between 1.5-1.7g/hr. So I am curious what speed you were running at. I suppose since you are trying to get home you ran somewhat faster than my slow poke mode. Or maybe you use a generator a lot. Just curious.
--
Richard P

--
W40FBS Adria

richarddalaska

Gary,

That explains the numbers. We rise at 10% lower speed and get about 30% better fuel consumption. The curve rises fast. Probably each of us sets our speed based on how the engine sounds. Your cummins may be smoother than our year 2000 Perkins/Sabre. Or maybe Adria's engine room sound insulation is better.

Richard P
Former owner of W40Lilliana and
W30 Puffin
Tiffany Jayne 34-sailboat- Dancer- SF Bay