Topics

Mast wiring on a Willard 40 FBS (1988)

Ulrich La Fosse

I need to update and/or replace wiring to the mast on my boat.

Does anyone know where to access the wires from below the flybridge?

Ulrich LaFosse
1988 Willard 40 FBS
Compass Rose

--
Ulrich LaFosse
1988 Willard 40 FBS

Ron Rogers

In the overhead, just forward of the support column (on the galley counter under the mast) is a teak board running from the top of the support to the windshield. If you unscrew it you will find a teak trough holding all the wires. On my FBS, I don't think there is enough slack to permit my aluminum mast to be lowered. My concern focuses on the radar cable.

Ron Rogers
40' FBS

On Fri, Feb 28, 2020 at 8:05 PM Ulrich La Fosse via Groups.Io <ulrichfa=icloud.com@groups.io> wrote:
I need to update and/or replace wiring to the mast on my boat.

Does anyone know where to access the wires from below the flybridge?

Ulrich LaFosse
1988 Willard 40 FBS
 Compass Rose

--
Ulrich LaFosse
1988 Willard 40 FBS

Ulrich La Fosse

In the headliner on my boat there are no fore and aft teak boards.  All such boards are athwart ship — and there are two (one forward and one aft of the support post).

That’s why I asked — since I don’t wish to remove any more headliner that necessary.

Ulrich

On Feb 28, 2020, at 8:58 PM, Ron Rogers <rcrogers6@...> wrote:

[...]

Surely the wires must be in the headliner where my board is. Since the wires go forward to light switches, etc. they should be where mine are. I would attempt to trace backwards from the switches. Since you have a new mast, you are breaking "new ground." I suggest that your wires exit above the hinge and enter a stainless steel inverted "J"and then through the roof into a teak box similar to mine but outside the headliner and running fore and aft. An alternative is to replace the wood column with a polished stainless pipe and run the wires inside it and down into the engine room and run them on the ER overhead. That makes them inaccessible until they reach the ER. If you are running a radar cable, then along the overhead in the cabin to the radar. BTW, mounting the radar antenna just below the crans gives it adequate height. If you run the equation, you see that a few feet will not affect the range much. You might wish to place a VHF antenna and an AIS antenna at and near the top of the mast. They do have to be separated.

Ron

On Fri, Feb 28, 2020 at 9:12 PM Ulrich La Fosse via Groups.Io <ulrichfa=icloud.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

richarddalaska

On Lilliana the mast wiring is almost exactly as Ron described. At the base of the mast is an inverted J that leads the wires through the roof and into the aft end of a teak tube. They then go forward into a soffit at the forward end  of the saloon.

i recently installed a new furuno radar that only requires a power cable going up the mast. The radar image is sent by WiFi to an iPad.

In hindsight I would not have purchased this WiFi radar. I would instead use a conventional radar cable and run it on the outside of the mast.

for my more detailed comments see my posts on the trawler archive site.

--
Richard P
Willard 40 -Lilliana-Sea of Cortez, Mexico

Richard A. Miller

My 1999-2000 W 40 FBS also has a teak wire chase on the overhead between the galley and the lower helm, running forward from under the base of the mast.

Richard Miller W40 FBS ADRIA

On Feb 28, 2020, at 7:57 PM, Ron Rogers <rcrogers6@...> wrote:

[...]

Look carefully to see if either or both athwartship teak boards have screw fasteners that can be removed without damaging the fabric headliner.
Richard M

On Feb 28, 2020, at 8:11 PM, Ulrich La Fosse via Groups.Io <ulrichfa@...> wrote:

[...]

Peter P

Richard P - why do you feel a wired radar would have been a better choice?

On Fri, Feb 28, 2020 at 10:54 PM, richarddalaska
<rpackard@...> wrote:
On Lilliana the mast wiring is almost exactly as Ron described. At the base of the mast is an inverted J that leads the wires through the roof and into the aft end of a teak tube. They then go forward into a soffit at the forward end  of the saloon.

i recently installed a new furuno radar that only requires a power cable going up the mast. The radar image is sent by WiFi to an iPad.

In hindsight I would not have purchased this WiFi radar. I would instead use a conventional radar cable and run it on the outside of the mast.

for my more detailed comments see my posts on the trawler archive site.

--
Richard P
Willard 40 -Lilliana-Sea of Cortez, Mexico
Willard 30- Puffin- SE Alaska
Tiffany Jayne 34-sailboat- Dancer- SF Bay

Ulrich La Fosse

Thanks for the two ideas: tracing the cables from the panel toward the mast; and checking the stainless steel mast support tube.

The first idea was not possible as a former owner had cut off/coiled cables and not marked them.

However, it turns out that the wires that run up to the flybridge and then to the mast all go through the support tube (none  go into a trough above the headliner). So, I was able to trace back from the tube, to the bottom of the galley cabinet, along the ER ceiling and finally into the cabinet to the right of the lower helm (which is a veritable snake pit of three decades worth of wiring). The first thing I did was apply labels!

In the end, I was able to save/re-use the radar power supply cable. No such luck with the network cable though.

Ulrich

1988 FBS40
Compass Rose