Topics

mast spec and sail size for voyager 30

Jay

The mast and sails have long since been removed from my Vega Voyager 30. I just wondered if anyone had any information about replacing the missing mast and sails?

Sean Eamon Kennedy

My mast is down currently. It’s a new mast a friend built for me a few years ago, but it works with the old shrouds, so the height must be reasonably close to original. It’s hinged a foot or two above the pilothouse top.

Here’s the stats:

Scantlings are 3.5” wide x 3” deep at the base tapering to 2.5” x 2.5” at the crans, with 2” diam to the truck (tip top)

Height from the base (on the fore cabin top) to the hinge is 58.25”. From the hinge to the crans is another 118” with another 12” to the top.

Sorry, no sail or boom info. Hope that helps.

-Sean
Moonlight

--
Sean Eamon Kennedy
Vega Voyager “Moonlight”

Jay

I appreciate your answer and see the overall length to be about 16 feet. Your friend built it out of wood???? That has occurred to me, a simple box section probably would suffice,
At any rate thanks for the information, it's really appreciated.

Jay Corzine - Author

Guide to Cruising Texas

Lasttangle@...

245 Griffith Dr
Rockport, TX 78382

361-229-5293

[...]

Ron Rogers

Getting your hands on clear quarter sawn fir/spruce in decent lengths is the challenge. A lot of the best goes to Japan as logs. We get aluminum trees - for Christmas too!

On Sat, Feb 29, 2020 at 1:46 PM Jay <lasttangle@...> wrote:
[...]

Moonlight’s mast is a solid lamination of CVG fir. I wasn’t worried at all about weight reduction, so the complication of a box section didn’t make sense. I figured the weight above would tamp down the roll a bit.

Yah. Good fir can be expensive, but not too hard to source in Seattle. And again, with no concern about weight, ponying up for spar grade spruce didn’t make sense either.

It’s laminated from three planks. The first two were glued up then the taper was cut in. The third plank was glued on the cut side covering any feather edge.

It’s really easy to raise and lower by myself - now. Once it gets loaded up radar, lights, etc. I might rethink my lack of concern re spar weight.

-Sean

On Feb 29, 2020, at 10:57 AM, Ron Rogers <rcrogers6@...> wrote:

[...]

You could have filled a box-section with Helium.🤔

On Sat, Feb 29, 2020 at 2:47 PM Sean Eamon Kennedy via Groups.Io <s_eamon_k=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Since hurricane Harvey's 150 knot breeze ripped through Rockport there are a lot of downed aluminum trees available so maybe the search for wood won't present itself.
Still wonder about boom length and does your mast have spreaders? I don't have a need to raise and lower the mast since bridges in TX are 73' except one which is 47'.

Jay Corzine - Author

Guide to Cruising Texas

Lasttangle@...

245 Griffith Dr
Rockport, TX 78382

361-229-5293

[...]

Dan McNames

Pending where you are and what is close by, I would look for a boat breaker, someone who salvages damaged or unwanted sailboats.  We have plenty of that about where I am.  Take the entire rigging and mast assembly and adapt to your W30.  Aluminum masts are easy to trim and same with the boom.  Many sailboats are all set for fold down anyway and this gives you the opportunity to weld on any mounting tabs, if not already present, for radar and antenna.  So many used sailboats are scrapped that the breakers often just chopsaw the aluminum and sell scrap by the pound.

I have had a sailboat with mast in some form or another since I was 19 and I am just turning 68 (ugh).  While wood masts look great and are traditional, they are a lot of work, varnish or Awlgrip.  Personally I would go aluminum.   While not a price option for for a W30 but I put a carbon fiber mast on the Kettenburg and that cost as much as the original purchase price but I don't have to pull it down every year for inspections but that is a different situation.

Four years ago someone gave a buddy of mine and I a 32' Grand Banks just to get it out of the slip he was taking over.  A dog but good Ford diesel.  We spent the summer at the boat salvage yards collecting stuff for our Experiment and just for grins mounted a cut down aluminum sailboat mast and rigging along with the older but working radar and antenna fixings.  Whole sailboat package including 3 set used but serviceable sails.  Turned it into some kind of nightmare motorsailer .  Then sold it for out expenses.

It can be done.

Dan McN