Topics

Designer of the Willard 40

richarddalaska

Does anyone know who was the designer of the willard 40? I recently was sent drawings of the Willard 40 from 1974 made by naval architect Jay Benford when he worked for Willard for a short time.  Jay said he “drew” the boat but suggested someone else designed it. I am not clear what the difference is between drawings and designs.

The hull shape of the Willard 40 looks quite similar to some trawlers that Jay has designed over the years.

For historical records of our boats, Mr. Benford might have more original detailed drawings of the willard 40 hull.

--
Richard P
Willard 40 -Lilliana-Sea of Cortez, Mexico

Peter P

Fascinating. Had no idea Benford worked at Willard. I thought the W40 was pure Rod Swift. Very eager to hear the outcome of this thread.

On Sun, Apr 26, 2020 at 6:29 PM, richarddalaska
<rpackard@...> wrote:
Does anyone know who was the designer of the willard 40? I recently was sent drawings of the Willard 40 from 1974 made by naval architect Jay Benford when he worked for Willard for a short time.  Jay said he “drew” the boat but suggested someone else designed it. I am not clear what the difference is between drawings and designs.

The hull shape of the Willard 40 looks quite similar to some trawlers that Jay has designed over the years.

For historical records of our boats, Mr. Benford might have more original detailed drawings of the willard 40 hull.

--
Richard P
Willard 40 -Lilliana-Sea of Cortez, Mexico
Willard 30- Puffin- SE Alaska
Tiffany Jayne 34-sailboat- Dancer- SF Bay

Michael Nachlinger

News to me also.  Benford had offices in Friday Harbor at one time.  He designed Ernest Gann's boat while here.  I like his design "Little Sinbad" I think that's in VUP third addition?

On 4/26/20 5:13 PM, Peter P via groups.io wrote:
[...]

Jay wrote that he worked for Willard for a short time in 1974
--
Richard P
Willard 40 -Lilliana-Sea of Cortez, Mexico
Willard 30- Puffin- SE Alaska
Tiffany Jayne 34-sailboat- Dancer- SF Bay

bobandmilly

I met Jay a number of years ago.  He described his role as a draftsman.  I believe the designer was Blaine Seeley.

Bob Salmons
Veronica
Willard 40 RPH

Peter P

I found an old Willard brochure online. It's undated, just states it's from the 1980's, which appears to be about right

States "Willard works with many designers including:
  • Wm Lapworth
  • Wm Tripp
  • Wm Garden
  • Bill Crealock
  • Hale Field
  • Bruce King
  • Dair Long
  • Wm Burroughs
  • Herb David
  • Thomas Wilson
  • Ken Rusinek
  • Rod Swift
Hale Field sketched a 46-foot cruising sailboat and asked Bill Lapworth to complete a design - it became "Fram" the early pattern for the influential Cal 46 design. Bill Garden of course did the W36 line that started it all (initially a 34-footer that was stretched). Crealock did the 8-tonner. Hale Field was responsible for the W40 MS, and probably the W36MS. I seem to recall Rod Swift was Willard's inside designer and responsible for the W30's ---- and I thought the W40s.

Lot's of "Williams" in the Naval Architecture world (at least west coast)