Topics

Bilge Keels - Kasten Marine Design

Richard A. Miller

Especially see this article re bilge keel design on small boats:

http://www.kastenmarine.com/bilge_keels.htm

Ron Rogers

The Boojum profile shows a bilge keel shaped like Veronica's:
http://www.kastenmarine.com/_drawings/boojum1.gif

On Tue, Apr 14, 2020 at 1:18 PM Richard A. Miller <ramillerco@...> wrote:
Especially see this article re bilge keel design on small boats:

http://www.kastenmarine.com/bilge_keels.htm

Richard A. Miller

Boojum uses “twin keels” which carry the ballast.  It has no center keel.  A Willard hull carries internal ballast and a center keel.  Different design problem.

Richard Miller

On Apr 14, 2020, at 12:41 PM, Ron Rogers <rcrogers6@...> wrote:

The Boojum profile shows a bilge keel shaped like Veronica's:
http://www.kastenmarine.com/_drawings/boojum1.gif

On Tue, Apr 14, 2020 at 1:18 PM Richard A. Miller <ramillerco@...> wrote:
Especially see this article re bilge keel design on small boats:

http://www.kastenmarine.com/bilge_keels.htm

Ron Rogers

I said NOTHING about a keel - got it? I simply said that the bilge keels had the same SHAPE as Veronica's. Period. Also, looking at the drawing, it LOOKS like the round bottom COULD touch the mud when the bilge keels do. I merely found it interesting that Veronica's bilge keels looked like Boojum's. Also note where her extended rudder shoe terminates.