Trying to dry out the boat and battling leaks and sweating hull

Dave Koester <dave.koester@...>

Hello Willard friends,

I am in winter # one with the Willard 30 Horizon and I am trying to dry her out on the inside.

On my other boats I have used lots of air movement (fans) and some heat. I am finding that the hull is sweating with the heat on and I am considering letting her go cold and keep air moving to see if that will eliminate sweating.

I am still chacing rain water intrusion points. It is going to be a journey with this one.

Thanks,

Dave

ALAN LAVINE seaVocean

Where you at and what's the humidity a

--
W30 8 ton Cutter, “SeaVocean

Pease, Dan

You can only "dry" the boat out to equal the normal air humidity of your location.
Constant air exchange is your best bet to get to that equilibrium.
IMHO
Dan

On Tue, Nov 16, 2021, 00:31 ALAN LAVINE seaVocean via groups.io <captainbligh01=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Where you at and what's the humidity a

On Nov 15, 2021 9:12 PM, Dave Koester <dave.koester@...> wrote:
Hello Willard friends,

I am in winter # one with the Willard 30 Horizon and I am trying to dry her out on the inside.

On my other boats I have used lots of air movement (fans) and some heat. I am finding that the hull is sweating with the heat on and I am considering letting her go cold and keep air moving to see if that will eliminate sweating.

I am still chacing rain water intrusion points. It is going to be a journey with this one.

Thanks,

Dave

--
W30 8 ton Cutter, “SeaVocean

Dave Koester <dave.koester@...>

Thanks for the input.

The boat is in the water in Newport Oregon.

--
David P. Koester

Eric

Hi,
My marina neighbor uses a portable home type dehumidifier on his sailboat when he leaves it for 8 months a year (goes home to Hawaii). We are in Everett Wa, where things rarely dry out in the winter.
I use a small ceramic heater on low when I'm not on Quasar in the winter, it barely heats the interior on high when I am there! I also leave the porthole in the shower cracked open.
The old bronze portholes do sweat when its cold outside, and I still have a couple spots that leak.
The boat seems to stay dry enough.

Later,
Eric Hovland  a.k.a. QUASAR

donna lynn

My husband and I lived aboard our Willard 40 in Connecticut for over a decade.  Humidity is always an issue during the winter months.  Here's what we did:
1. Added insulation (pink sheets of rigid foam) under the bed
2. If possible, add insulation behind the wall covers
3. Open up the boat to the outside everyday. We had ours covered in clear shrinkwrap, so even on a cloudy day it was warm and dry under the cover.
4. Take your bedding off everyday and hang it up to dry with a space heater in a closed cabin.  Also, lift up the mattresses to dry them everyday.

It takes a bit of work, but it really helps.  We used pelonis ceramic heaters as our primary source of heat and would dry out cabins during the day with them.

Hope this helps!
Donna & Jim
Blue Moon
Willard 40