1963 copper artifact in 36 footer.

Bruce Didier

I was doing some excavation in my engine room, removing the last portside double layer of celotex ceiling tiles on the forward bulkhead when I found this copper ribbon. About 1" x.032, neatly folded and passing under/through the shelf to hull tabbing out board. I followed it to it's end outside the main structural logs. Doesn't look like it a ground plane connection but could have gone to original engine, Graymarine diesel. upper end is close to location on original Raritan battery charger.
Has anyone else seen this sort of thing? Might it have any utility for grounding.

Please don't judge the greasy end, I'm getting closer to that project.

--
Bruce and Trish
M/S Spartan V

Robert F Neefus

Looks like part of an old ground plane. Most old boats have had several owners and each has had their own idea of what the boat and they needed.

On Oct 30, 2021, at 2:54 PM, Bruce Didier <db47@...> wrote:

I was doing some excavation in my engine room, removing the last portside double layer of celotex ceiling tiles on the forward bulkhead when I found this copper ribbon. About 1" x.032, neatly folded and passing under/through the shelf to hull tabbing out board. I followed it to it's end outside the main structural logs. Doesn't look like it a ground plane connection but could have gone to original engine, Graymarine diesel. upper end is close to location on original Raritan battery charger.
Has anyone else seen this sort of thing? Might it have any utility for grounding.

Please don't judge the greasy end, I'm getting closer to that project.

--
Bruce and Trish
M/S Spartan V
1963 Willard 36 Motor Sailer Hull #23
Seattle, WA

--
Capt Bob on “Patience”, a 30-foot Fales.

Bill

Edited

Probably part of the ground plane for a high frequency AM radio. When these boats were built VHF FM was in its infancy. I know in the mid ‘70’s I still had a Daniels HF AM radiophone (2182 kilo cycles calling and emergency) and no VHF.
--
W36S #34 The Grey Goose

richarddalaska

That looks like the ground plane for a SSB radio.
--
Richard P
Willard 40 -Lilliana-Sea of Cortez, Mexico

Bruce Didier

Thanks! Ground plane it is.