venting the bilge in a Willard 30 Horizon

Dave Koester <dave.koester@...>

This new to me project boat has what my wife calls "a strong scent of boat". What she means is it smells like stinky oily bilge.

I spent part of the day doing what previous owners have not for more years than I care to guess....soaping a scrubbing the bilge. Actually I started with a dollar-store spatula scraping out 1 inch of scum and paste of I-don't-want-to-know-what that sat in the bottom. Then transitioned to a pump spray bottle with lots of liquid soap and a little bleach and a lot of scrubbing. I am feeling optomistic that one day the bilge will not be quite as depressing.

Tomorrow I am going to bring down our water boiler pot and fill the pump sprayer with the hottest water it can handle and see if I can melt some of the gunk off with that...wish me luck.

What I am not seeing is a good engine/ bilge air supply and vent. There are plenty of loose spots for bilge air to enter the cabin.

Most boats have dorades or some form of in-and-out air systems to vent the engine compartment as well as supply it with outside air. I am considering some sort of low voltage fan (like a computer fan) that will pull air from the bilge area and direct it to a dorade box or some other benign exit.

https://smile.amazon.com/Gazechimp-Air-Flow-Cooling-Circulation-Ducting/dp/B07TPF945R/ref=sr_1_44?dchild=1&keywords=12+volt+duct+fan&qid=1635389929&qsid=144-6514568-5312162&sr=8-44&sres=B0166S2PA2%2CB08R9RQMVC%2CB07NRJS83C%2CB094MWFD9L%2CB01MRD3445%2CB01NAVBOLH%2CB0916B6CYK%2CB07Q6QHBWV%2CB09G5TFMBY%2CB08FPSZ1V5%2CB07B7G4WQ6%2CB07N7Z3RM2%2CB07J5VN82X%2CB019MJ5VHG%2CB003EX02DA%2CB08FL73F6G%2CB087FKHBPK%2CB01M7S46YZ%2CB01M2XG0E1%2CB07YZ4RMBJ

or

https://smile.amazon.com/SEAFLO-Line-Blower-Bilge-Operation/dp/B00LIV1N0G/ref=sr_1_105?dchild=1&keywords=12+volt+duct+fan&qid=1635390305&sr=8-105

Wondering if other owners have slayed this dragon or have more developed thoughts on the matter?

Thanks,

Dave

Henry Turner

I have two dorades just forward of the mast.  One feeds air to the engine, the other feeds air to the bilge behind the compression post.  These where added in 1988 when my boat went through a major refit.  I have found on previous boats, undiluted white vinegar to be an excellent cleaner... environmentally safe.  The smell is not so whoopi when you use it but it does go away and does take away the old boat smell.  Once all clean, give a couple spritzes of Fabreze.

Henry

--
1974 W30 Vega Horizon :Audrey’s Bell”, Corpus Christi, TX

ALAN LAVINE seaVocean

Clean clean clean replace all soft goods and bilge cote.  Then dehumidifier and box fan when on shore power.

On Oct 27, 2021 8:08 PM, Dave Koester <dave.koester@...> wrote:
[...]

W30 8 ton Cutter, “SeaVocean

Pease, Dan

Install a composting toilet and associated vent fan. Kill 2 birds with one stone. Eliminate toilet and holding tank and stinky hoses, and have a vent fan running 24/7/365.

On Wed, Oct 27, 2021, 23:08 Dave Koester <dave.koester@...> wrote:
[...]

Sven

Dave,

When we replaced the 4-108 in our Ericson 39B the mechanics used Orange Citrus Cleaner and it was a miracle cure,  no overstatement.  It claims to be not harmful but it cleaned out 40 years of accumulated oils and gunk.  The 'well' in the bilge was one foot deep with gunk that had to be shoveled out first,  to give you an idea of how bad it was under the engine.

After cleaning with the cleaner the bilge was painted and the paint adhered without problems.

I think this was the brand but won't swear to it:

http://www.starbrite.com/item/super-orange-citrus-bilge-cleaner

Best of luck and use good ventilation when working no matter how harmless the stuff is supposed to be.

-Sven

------------------------------
MV Shiplet
2007 Diesel Duck 382

Peter P

3M or Scotch Brand make an orange citrus cleaner designed for use in commercial kitchen to clean flat top grills, behind steam tables, etc.   As Sven notes, it is indeed amazing stuff. I had never considered using it outside of a commercial kitchen.  Good idea Sven.

Peter

Dave Koester <dave.koester@...>

Really appreciate the tips. Will be ordering the Bilge cleaner shortly.!

Sven

Might want to order the one Peter mentions as my memory of which brand it was is very sketchy.

Good luck and thanks for the second,  Peter.

-Sven
MV Shiplet
2007 Diesel Duck 382

Peter P

Scotch-Brite Griddle Degreaser LOCATED HERE. Also comes in single-use envelopes. Restaurant supply places likely have it in-stock. There are knock-off brands that are less expensive (ZEP is under $20/gallon and available from Home Depot) but I have no idea if they work as well. Not a place I'd cheap-out.

Here is a 3M promotional video. I have to tell you, it actually works like this (here is a video of a line-cook cleaning the griddle in about 8-mins). Granted, it's heat to a higher temp than a bilge, but still......

Good luck -