W30 Voyager Airdraft

Edited

After about 20 years on the Willard sidelines, I’ve finally bought a Voyager. Now I need to truck it from San Francisco to Vancouver BC. Can any of you tell me the height from waterline to top of pilothouse.

Thanks & hope to see some of you at the next rendezvous

Jim

Mal Patton

We trucked Slow Dancer, Voyager 30, from La Conner to Portland. We removed the false stack. My best estimate was 12’1” keel to cabin top. An extra 24” with the stack in place?
We used Associated Boat Transport and had no problems.
Mal Patton

On Jun 15, 2021, at 6:53 PM, Jim Jones <jf.jones@...> wrote:

After about 20 years on 5e Willard sidelines, I’ve finally bought a Voyager. Now I need to truck it from San Francisco to Vancouver BC. Can any of give me an accurate height fro waterline to top of pilothouse.

Thanks & hope to see some of you at the next rendezvous

Jim

dpstainsby Stainsby

Hi Jim,

Congratulations on your new boat. If it's the Black Pearl, she looked in wonderful condition! Before you commit to trucking all the way to Vancouver you might want to consider a  shorter haul to Olympia or Tacoma Washington. From there you might be able to get a Captain to bring her across the border to Vancouver.  Last July we had our Willard 40 trucked to Blaine where a Captain took her as she was launched and brought her across to Nanaimo.  He was a good guy who is based in Vancouver. He did it with no fuss during the Covid shutdown and we thought the price was reasonable. If you think this is an idea worth pursuing feel free to contact me directly and I will provide you with whatever information I can. It's just a suggestion because it might be cheaper and easier to truck all the way.

Best of Luck, Dick Stainsby

On 2021-06-15 7:55 p.m., Mal Patton via groups.io wrote:

We trucked Slow Dancer, Voyager 30, from La Conner to Portland. We removed the false stack. My best estimate was 12’1” keel to cabin top. An extra 24” with the stack in place?
We used Associated Boat Transport and had no problems.
Mal Patton

On Jun 15, 2021, at 6:53 PM, Jim Jones <jf.jones@...> wrote:

After about 20 years on 5e Willard sidelines, I’ve finally bought a Voyager. Now I need to truck it from San Francisco to Vancouver BC. Can any of give me an accurate height fro waterline to top of pilothouse.

Thanks & hope to see some of you at the next rendezvous

Jim

Dan McNames

Looked at the Black Pearl listing, needs a bit of clean up inside but outside is very nice, one of my favorite models, has a heater to boot.

I must laugh, it was sold new in Newport Beach out of the Via Lido office, my Dad sold it new !!  ( if he was still alive he would be 99 this year )  Which means I toured it in and out of the harbor to Catalina Island before it was transferred.  Every delivery was put out on a local shake down before the buyer took it over.  That was what 48 years ago and it's still in California.  Now I know I am getting old.

Dan McN

Dan McNames

Check the USA Canada boarder crossing issues both for persons and freight.

https://www.politico.com/news/2021/06/09/canada-border-travel-492914

I have business partners in Vancouver and right now I can not get there and they can not get to California.  Not sure what happens to ships / boats that motor across the boarder in the water, what happens when they hit land.  There is the quarantine issue there as well in Canada.

IF IF there is an issue, have someone motor off shore from USA to Canada and someone from Canada come out to water and just trade ships.  A Canadian citizen bring a boat in from open water into Canada.  Not sure how that applies to the quarantine.

Dan McN

Thanks for the very useful information and advice, gentlemen!

Dan - I expect that you were the very knowledgeable visitor that Ralph mentioned. While I bought it unconditional, sight unseen, I was fortunate to have friends in Benicia who were kind enough to send me about a hundred photos. Gave me a pretty good idea of what I’m dealing with.

Its an old boat, but a polish, some new non-skid, a replacement boom, lifeline repair and the exterior will be good. Maybe very good.

New Diamond Seaglaze windows in the pilothouse were a big plus. The original Perkins must have been replaced late 80’s, early 90’s. Unfortunately, they didn’t do the tanks, so that could be my biggest issue. It has a Perkins Prima M50 with under 1000 hours. After installing a new starter, a surveyor motored it from Emeryville to Pittsburg. I’m gambling that the motor is in decent condition.

There’s some evidence of neglect - wasted zincs - so I expect that will demand some work. A little electrical cleanup in the engine room. It needs some interior trim work, maybe some new liner, paint and carpet replaced.

to the discussion of transport, the land border crossing rules are up for review, perhaps May even open June 21. If I do fly down to take possession, I will have it trucked to Tacoma, and bring it across the border on its own bottom. My understanding is that a returning citizen that has had both inoculations, and a COVID test no more than 3 days prior, will not be required to quarantine. As it is a US built boat, it will only be subject to provincial tax.
….or so I believe…

In any case, I’m soon to be the custodian.

Does anybody know any of the boats history? As it’s an estate sale, I presume that Ms. Waldron is no longer with us.

Thanks Mal. Just what I was looking for. I will likely remove the stack and of course the mast for transport
--
Vega 30 Voyager “Black Pearl”

Thank you Dick. That is a good suggestion. Would you give me an intro to the Vancouver based captain.
--
Vega 30 Voyager “Black Pearl”

An update on Black Pearl. I travelled to Pittsburg Ca to take possession of the boat on June 24. I’m pleased with the purchase (and gamble I suppose - I paid for her as is and based on photos a friend of mine took, before I ever saw her) She’s in better condition than I expected.

She’s been upgraded with an early 90’s Perkins (Prima M50 direct injection), diamond Seaglaze windows, bronze port lights (was this a factory option?), new upholstery and cushions, fresh varnish and recent paint on the superstructure. Almost new Force 10 gimballed stove and microwave set up, as well as a Xantrax inverter and modern charger.

The bad - starter issues due to water lying in the bilge. 40 year old untidy wiring and panels that need renewal. Battery wiring however is recent and proper. Got to figure out how to get the Adler Barber Cold Machine working in the top load fridge. Wasted zincs (corroded seacocks cleaned up well). A small vertical fracture in the keel aft port side. Don’t know if it was a manufacturing defect or the result of swelling concrete. Either way, it’s had a proper epoxy and glass repair at Bridgehead Marine in Antioch.

I put about 8 hours on her in the San Joaquin River. Runs great.

To my original Airdraft question - she’s about 12’6” keel to top of stack. Stack removed she’s under 11’

she’s now waiting for pickup on Antioch for transport to Olympia. I’ll motor on her own bottom up to Vancouver Island.

BTW - it’s not often you see two Voyagers side by side in a boat yard
--
Vega 30 Voyager “Black Pearl”

Henry Turner

Great news. Congratulations.
--
1974 W30 Vega Horizon :Audrey’s Bell”, Corpus Christi, TX

Glenn & Lisa Smith

She’s a beauty Jim, there is only a few of us left out there, take great care with her
Glenn & Lisa
The Smithsonian
South Haven mi

On Jul 9, 2021, at 3:13 PM, Jim Jones <jf.jones@...> wrote:

[...]

<D845D6CE-9EAE-453C-9CEA-FF27446376BF.jpeg>

Sean Eamon Kennedy

Good new.

Let us know when you get here. Maybe we can have a mini-meet-up to welcome Black Pearl to the Salish Sea.

On Jul 9, 2021, at 12:13 PM, Jim Jones <jf.jones@...> wrote:

[...]

Vega Voyager “Moonlight”

Bill

Perhaps a “rolling get together” as you work through the sound. There are lots of Willards in the north sound/SanJuans/Bellingham area.
--
W36S #34 The Grey Goose

I look forward to a get together!

an update - after waiting patiently for 2 weeks, I got a phone call from UShip to let me know the rig was on its way from Idaho to pick up Black Pearl in From Antioch in 24 hours. The boat should be in Olympia by Thursday. I will splash her and head north within a week.

Does anybody have a recommendation or experience with Olympia marinas. I’ve still had no response from Swantown.
--
Vega 30 Voyager “Black Pearl”

Sean Eamon Kennedy

I’d highly recommend getting a WA state parks annual pass for your boat. It’s $5/ft for the whole year, and you could get most of the way home staying on their buoys. The per/night buoy fee is $15 so you may not need the annual pass. On the other hand, with a pass you don’t necessarily have to go ashore each time to pay the fee.

The Willard 30 also fits easily on a lot of the parks’ docks so you can get ashore for showers without even getting the dink wet. The only problem is they get busy on weekends during the summer.

Hope Island state park is only about 8nm north of Olympia, and is one of my favorite south sound spots.

On Jul 20, 2021, at 7:09 AM, Jim Jones <jf.jones@...> wrote:

I look forward to a get together!

an update - after waiting patiently for 2 weeks, I got a phone call from UShip to let me know the rig was on its way from Idaho to pick up Black Pearl in From Antioch in 24 hours. The boat should be in Olympia by Thursday. I will splash her and head north within a week.

Does anybody have a recommendation or experience with Olympia marinas. I’ve still had no response from Swantown.
--
Vega 30 Voyager “Black Pearl”

--
Sean Eamon Kennedy
Vega Voyager “Moonlight”

Office staff at Swantown in Olympia is often behind in their work, but they have a large area of guest moorage on “A” dock that is seldom full.  If you wish to be right downtown, you can go to Percival Landing.  Another option is the Port Plaza Dock.  With all that is available you won’t have trouble finding a spot.  I live in Olympia, but I am currently in the San Juan Islands cruising on Moon Jelly, Willard 36 #5.

John Caples

On Jul 20, 2021, at 7:09 AM, Jim Jones <jf.jones@...> wrote:

I look forward to a get together!

an update - after waiting patiently for 2 weeks, I got a phone call from UShip to let me know the rig was on its way from Idaho to pick up Black Pearl in From Antioch in 24 hours. The boat should be in Olympia by Thursday. I will splash her and head north within a week.

Does anybody have a recommendation or experience with Olympia marinas. I’ve still had no response from Swantown.
--
Vega 30 Voyager “Black Pearl”

--
Vega 36 MALAYA

A further update on Black Pearl’s location - still in Antioch: :(  Last week’s trucker realized before he got to the boatyard that his trailer was unsuitable for this ‘sailboat’ hull. Still waiting on UShip to schedule pickup. It’s been 3 weeks…

a question - does anybody have the dimensions on the wooden mast and boom on the Voyager? Should have measured when I was on location. I will build a new box section mast/boom from mahogany or Doug fir. Would like to get started while waiting for the boat.

--
Vega 30 Voyager “Black Pearl”

bluoct@...

Hang in there ...

On Mon, Jul 26, 2021 at 9:13 AM Jim Jones <jf.jones@...> wrote:

A further update on Black Pearl’s location - still in Antioch: :(  Last week’s trucker realized before he got to the boatyard that his trailer was unsuitable for this ‘sailboat’ hull. Still waiting on UShip to schedule pickup. It’s been 3 weeks…

a question - does anybody have the dimensions on the wooden mast and boom on the Voyager? Should have measured when I was on location. I will build a new box section mast/boom from mahogany or Doug fir. Would like to get started while waiting for the boat.

--
Vega 30 Voyager “Black Pearl”

Sean Eamon Kennedy

You should do a search for “mast” on the groups.io site. There have been several discussions. I wouldn’t bother with the box section. You won’t save any real weight and you’ll add complication.

Here’s what I’ve got on Moonlight:

Scantlings are 3.5” wide x 3” deep at the base tapering to 2.5” x 2.5” at the crans, with 2” diam to the truck (tip top)

Height from the base (on the fore cabin top) to the hinge (a couple of feet above the pilothouse) is 58.25”. From the hinge to the crans is another 118” with another 12” to the top.