Re: W36 Vega and does the Cockpit Seat Make into n Bunk

Peter P

Hey Ian - my best guess is the Willard 36 sedans were all semi-custom. The interior varies a fair amount between each boat. Most of the early boats had 4 single berths forward - I can't speak to their comfort. I'd imagine the lower ones were fine. The upper ones would be unusable except for children. Most had the head forward, but not all - the alternative layout was a v-berth in the forward section with the head compartment on starboard side just forward of the bulkhead that divides the main saloon from the stateroom area. As my wife and I have aged (and re-gained our baby fat), the double-bunk to starboard became increasingly awkward for the inevitable notcurnal pee-trek. As part of the refit, I had the bunk moved to a v-berth configuration, and the head moved to the after end of the stateroom. I believe Bill's boat is similar, as is Nokken if you can find pictures of her.

Here are some old pictures of Weebles' original layout showing pullman berth - no changes to saloon (I think you will need to be logged-in on the Groups.IO website to view them).
https://willardboatowners.groups.io/g/main/files/Misc./4%20-%20Willard%20Pictures%20-%20Renedezvous,%20etc/W36%20%2340%20Weebles%20-%20Pictures

I lived aboard Weebles for a few years, and was a remote worker in tech at the time. The aft deck was a decent office. I'd say one option that I wish my boat had had would be the hard-top extension to cover the aft settee - mine had a soft-top that worked fairly well, but I decided to have the hard-top built-in during my refit. We are headed to the tropics and want sun and rain protection, but would be good for an aft-deck enclosure.

I think the biggest challenge is money. These are not very valuable boats which makes it impossible to restore them for any reason than just plain love of the boat. I think these are a good 1-couple boat, possibly a third person. I also converted the top-deck to have two fore/aft benches instead of the one thwart bench. Here is a picture I have handy showing during painting - note hard-top. These benches are easily long enough and wide enough for sleeping in decent weather (again, headed south, not north).

In closing, when I first moved to Florida in 2005, I thought a slow, displacement boat was a fish out of water. I quickly changed my tune - the ICW has many no-wake zones so speed is often useless. And the skinny water means a well-protected prop is a real benefit. Last thing I wanted was a hard-top; and losing the mast meant I could fit under more bridges without opening.

Peter