Re: 2022 Rendezvous

Peter P

I sold my house last year and am down-sizing so it could be a while before I find the pennant. But when I do, you can have it. I no longer have a mast, and it's a bit ratty. The original owner of of W36 #40 was apparently quite active in the Newport Beach Yacht Club and served as committee boat on the Newport/Ensenada race.

Attached is a picture of when W36 #40 was launched at the marine railway in Newport Beach. I don't know any of the people, but if I had to pick the owner, would be the guy in the center as he has that look of a father on the other side of the glass in a hospital.

When I purchased her in 1998 in San Francisco, she was named "Shy Platypus." THe prior owner gave me sound advice about the name: "Don't give your 7-year old child naming rights." I simply could not abide the name - imagine repeating it thrice over VHF, then speaking phonetically to a bridge tender. So I named her after the childs toy Weebles ("Wee-bles wobble but they don't fall down!" Has significance if you're of a certain age I suppose). Choice #2 was "Atlas" which we felt represented her endurance. Had I known her provenance, I would have returned her name to "Taras" out of respect for her lineage. I am just finishing up a long refit in Ensenada - she will be good for another 50-years, long past my lifespan.

Peter