Re: More on Window & Port Repair/Replacement

Sean Eamon Kennedy

I went with Motion Windows out of Vancouver, WA, when we replaced the windows on Moonlight. The quote was about $1,800 for the three opening windows in the salon (port, starboard and rear), plus the two small windows in the pilothouse (I went with non-opening rectangular windows in the pilothouse as that was cheaper). All were framed in aluminum. Glass was ¼” with a light grey tint.

I’m very happy with the windows, and if I get around to replacing the larger windows in the pilothouse I’ll go with Motion Windows again.

Haven’t had any issues with condensation with the new windows or the bronze port lights in the fore cabin.

On Nov 11, 2020, at 12:20 PM, Sven <southbound@...> wrote:

We installed NFM ports throughout our sloop ~10 years ago and absolutely loved them.

We ordered two of the round opening ones for the PH on LAGOM but have not yet installed them.  We've considered replacing the other plastic ones but since we hope to get to the PNW that might not be a good idea ?  The concern is condensation in the much colder climate with glass and metal instead of plastic.  In the PH condensation is not as great an issue as it is over the v-berth.

I'd be curious to hear how glass/metal ports work in the colder areas and what others do to reduce the condensation problem ?

-Sven (& Nancy) on LAGOM,  currently in Channel Islands Harbor,  Ca.

--
Sean Eamon Kennedy
Vega Voyager “Moonlight”