Re: Magma flopper-stopper WAS: roll reducing fins-a long post

richarddalaska

Form the naval architect's analysis that Luis Soltero had done for his fins, it is not the are of the fin that counts. Rather it is the turbulent drag that occurs at the shop edge. So one shouldn't be comparing area ion keel vs area of fin. Better perhaps to put a knife edge on the bottom of the keel.

The fins that I installed are too short (~12") to permit beaching the boat and, because they are thin, I would not want thousands of pounds of force on them if the boat was leaned over.

Richard P