Re: Magma flopper-stopper WAS: roll reducing fins-a long post

richarddalaska

Peter,

You are correct that your outrigger spinnaker pole is WAY overkill. I suggest you use aluminum rather than SS just for ease of handling . If the pole is heavy today it will be a lot heavier when you pass 75 years old. Use carbon fiber if the Dow hits 30,000!

For flopperstoppers it is absolutely essential to have some elasticity in the line I used to deploy mine with amsteel which is how my paravanes are rigged also. As you know Amsteel (and other dyneema lines) have almost no stretch. The first time we used the FS in a rolly anchorage my wife said it was the worst night sleep she ever tried to get. Whenever the magma vanes opened there was tremendous shock on the boat. Now we rig some springy shockles in the cord  and that problem is eliminated.

The magma FS are not the best since the boat has to roll about 5-10 degrees before the sides flop open. There is a better design: www.FlopStopper.com but they are even more costly than magma.

I am hoping that my installation of the roll reducing fins will eliminate the most of the need for using the flopper stoppers.

When the magma FS are deployed there is supposed to be a retrieval/twist-reducer line attached to  the boat. So even if the crappy line that magma supplied breaks you won't loose the FS.

As mentioned by Sven, some people attach retrieval line to paravanes. However at 6.5knots the drag on even a 3/16" line is substantial and causes the "fish" to position themselves even further aft than normal.

I rigged a retrieval system for the paravanes that eliminates almost all muscle effort to get them out of the water and into their "holsters" on the stern. I did this only after I got a hernia when lifting them out of the water during the first year of use. Once I stop the boat it takes abut 3-4 minutes to retrieve the pair. I would try to describe the system but it would sound so much more complicated than it really is that no one would think to do it.

The only way to COMPLETELY eliminate rolling at anchor is to cruise in the PNW where there are 100s of real anchorages that have zero wave action. Of course it will be raining at anchor half the time but you won't be rolling.

Richard P