Re: CAP RAIL CAULKING ON MY WILLARD 8 TON CUTTER

Richard A. Miller

I believe your recollection is in error regarding the screwing or bolting of the hull/deck joint.  I also believe the balance of your description to be accurate.

Richard Miller W40 Adria

On Apr 29, 2020, at 5:03 AM, Pease, Dan <capt.revere@...> wrote:

My memory may fail me, but I think that first off the hull/deck joint is either screwed or bolted together.

The the caprail is screwed or bolted down thru that joint.

Then the stantions are screwed thru the caprail and in some cases the long screws also go thru the hull/deck joint.

It is almost impossible to seal those places where screws go thru multiple layers, so any water that gets under the caprail is eventually going to find access to the interior.

It is far less than a perfect situation.

Dan