Re: mast spec and sail size for voyager 30

Jay

Since hurricane Harvey's 150 knot breeze ripped through Rockport there are a lot of downed aluminum trees available so maybe the search for wood won't present itself.
Still wonder about boom length and does your mast have spreaders? I don't have a need to raise and lower the mast since bridges in TX are 73' except one which is 47'.

Jay Corzine - Author

Guide to Cruising Texas

Lasttangle@...

245 Griffith Dr
Rockport, TX 78382

361-229-5293

From: main@WillardBoatOwners.groups.io <main@WillardBoatOwners.groups.io> on behalf of Ron Rogers <rcrogers6@...>
Sent: Saturday, February 29, 2020 1:57 PM
To: main@willardboatowners.groups.io <main@willardboatowners.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [WillardBoatOwners] mast spec and sail size for voyager 30

You could have filled a box-section with Helium.🤔

On Sat, Feb 29, 2020 at 2:47 PM Sean Eamon Kennedy via Groups.Io <s_eamon_k=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Moonlight’s mast is a solid lamination of CVG fir. I wasn’t worried at all about weight reduction, so the complication of a box section didn’t make sense. I figured the weight above would tamp down the roll a bit. 

Yah. Good fir can be expensive, but not too hard to source in Seattle. And again, with no concern about weight, ponying up for spar grade spruce didn’t make sense either. 

It’s laminated from three planks. The first two were glued up then the taper was cut in. The third plank was glued on the cut side covering any feather edge. 

It’s really easy to raise and lower by myself - now. Once it gets loaded up radar, lights, etc. I might rethink my lack of concern re spar weight. 

-Sean

On Feb 29, 2020, at 10:57 AM, Ron Rogers <rcrogers6@...> wrote:

Getting your hands on clear quarter sawn fir/spruce in decent lengths is the challenge. A lot of the best goes to Japan as logs. We get aluminum trees - for Christmas too!

On Sat, Feb 29, 2020 at 1:46 PM Jay <lasttangle@...> wrote:
I appreciate your answer and see the overall length to be about 16 feet. Your friend built it out of wood???? That has occurred to me, a simple box section probably would suffice,
At any rate thanks for the information, it's really appreciated.

Jay Corzine - Author

Guide to Cruising Texas

Lasttangle@...

245 Griffith Dr
Rockport, TX 78382

361-229-5293

From: main@WillardBoatOwners.groups.io <main@WillardBoatOwners.groups.io> on behalf of Sean Eamon Kennedy via Groups.Io <s_eamon_k=yahoo.com@groups.io>
Sent: Friday, February 28, 2020 8:10 PM
To: main@willardboatowners.groups.io <main@willardboatowners.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [WillardBoatOwners] mast spec and sail size for voyager 30

My mast is down currently. It’s a new mast a friend built for me a few years ago, but it works with the old shrouds, so the height must be reasonably close to original. It’s hinged a foot or two above the pilothouse top. 

Here’s the stats:

Scantlings are 3.5” wide x 3” deep at the base tapering to 2.5” x 2.5” at the crans, with 2” diam to the truck (tip top)

Height from the base (on the fore cabin top) to the hinge is 58.25”. From the hinge to the crans is another 118” with another 12” to the top.

Sorry, no sail or boom info. Hope that helps.

-Sean
Moonlight

On Feb 27, 2020, at 12:16 PM, Jay <lasttangle@...> wrote:

The mast and sails have long since been removed from my Vega Voyager 30. I just wondered if anyone had any information about replacing the missing mast and sails?

--
Sean Eamon Kennedy
Vega Voyager “Moonlight”

--
Sean Eamon Kennedy
Vega Voyager “Moonlight”

Join main@WillardBoatOwners.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.