Re: Mast wiring on a Willard 40 FBS (1988)

Ron Rogers

Surely the wires must be in the headliner where my board is. Since the wires go forward to light switches, etc. they should be where mine are. I would attempt to trace backwards from the switches. Since you have a new mast, you are breaking "new ground." I suggest that your wires exit above the hinge and enter a stainless steel inverted "J"and then through the roof into a teak box similar to mine but outside the headliner and running fore and aft. An alternative is to replace the wood column with a polished stainless pipe and run the wires inside it and down into the engine room and run them on the ER overhead. That makes them inaccessible until they reach the ER. If you are running a radar cable, then along the overhead in the cabin to the radar. BTW, mounting the radar antenna just below the crans gives it adequate height. If you run the equation, you see that a few feet will not affect the range much. You might wish to place a VHF antenna and an AIS antenna at and near the top of the mast. They do have to be separated.

Ron

On Fri, Feb 28, 2020 at 9:12 PM Ulrich La Fosse via Groups.Io <ulrichfa=icloud.com@groups.io> wrote:
In the headliner on my boat there are no fore and aft teak boards.  All such boards are athwart ship — and there are two (one forward and one aft of the support post).

That’s why I asked — since I don’t wish to remove any more headliner that necessary.

Ulrich

On Feb 28, 2020, at 8:58 PM, Ron Rogers <rcrogers6@...> wrote:

In the overhead, just forward of the support column (on the galley counter under the mast) is a teak board running from the top of the support to the windshield. If you unscrew it you will find a teak trough holding all the wires. On my FBS, I don't think there is enough slack to permit my aluminum mast to be lowered. My concern focuses on the radar cable.

Ron Rogers
40' FBS

On Fri, Feb 28, 2020 at 8:05 PM Ulrich La Fosse via Groups.Io <ulrichfa=icloud.com@groups.io> wrote:
I need to update and/or replace wiring to the mast on my boat.

Does anyone know where to access the wires from below the flybridge?

Ulrich LaFosse
1988 Willard 40 FBS
 Compass Rose

--